Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Panama, Uruguay, Buenos Aires and more!

Ok, it´s been a while since I´ve updated where I have been and what I have been doing. I did indeed spend those three weeks walking Gato through the jungle everyday. And it truly was one of the best and most exciting experiences of my life. It went sooo quickly and I cannot wait to go back and volunteer at Parque Machia again.

Gato is an amazing puma. A few days we slept on the beach almost the entire day. A few days we walked 8-10k barely resting. While out in the jungle I carried a bottle of water with me, just for him. To find out if he was thirsty you could pull the bottle out of your backpack and if he wanted some he would look at the bottle of water until you bent down and poured some into your hand so he could lap it up. Truly amazing. He also has a brush that I used to brush him a few times since he never completely learned how to properly goom himself. Sometimes we hung out at the tourist mirador. My favorite times were being at the tourist mirador and the Spider Monkeys would come visit us. They were very curious about Gato and occasionally would slowly creep up to him and then brush their hand over his back quickly before running away. It was absolutely hilarious to watch. A couple times a monkey would climb on my head or sit in my lap. I loved it.

When it was time to leave the park, I had to spend 3 days on a bus to get to Santiago. Then I spent a day walking around Santiago before hopping on a plane to Panama to meet up with my family. First thing I did while I was in Panama was get a mani and a pedi, much needed after 3 weeks walking around in the jungle wearing wellies. The second thing I did was eat about 3 tamales, 5 empanadas, and a cup of ceviche. Yum!! We spent some time shopping in the giant mall. And then headed out to Corona to my Uncle´s beach house. We squeezed 15 people into a 3 bedroom house. It was great fun. One night was my cousin´s "family" bachelorette party, joint with her fiance. We rented a chivita (a party bus), and drove throughout Panama City, drinking and dancing to the live band. It was a night, worth remembering, even if I don´t. ;)

My last night in Panama was my cousins wedding. We got a second round of mani and pedi´s, hair made, makeup done, and I borrowed a beautiful dress from my cousin. The reception was at the Mariott and it was beautiful. The food was delicious, the music was good and the liquor was flowing. Around midnight traditional Panamanian dancers took over the floor for a show. A bit later carts of goodies were brought out - masks, flashing glasses, traditional hats, parasols, flashing cups, mardi gras beads, etc. It was time to party harder. At about 4am the dj called it quits (Buenos Aires would put the lateness factor to shame), but we kept drinking for another hour anyway. Around 5:30am we headed upstairs to bed. I had to get up at 8:15am to catch my flight to Uruguay.

I only had time to spend about 3 days in Uruguay as I needed to get to Buenos Aires to see a friend I had met in Ecuador before she went back to Europe for the holidays. I spent half a day exploring Montevideo, a beautiful city. Then headed to Colonia where I spent a day and a half lounging on the beach before taking the ferry through the delta to Tigre and a train onto Buenos Aires. And immediately, I was swept into the Buenos Aires night life. After 4 nights of going to bed no earlier than the sun, I took a day to rest and then did a little site seeing. I went to the feria de Mataderos, the Recoleta Cemetary (I saw Evita´s grave!), checked out all the old colonial style governement buildings, and went to a Boca Juniors football match. It was a little weird not being in the hostel all day, but I got over it and enjoyed beautiful Buenos Aires. Tonight I am heading out to Cordoba, it is time to escape the city and see what else is in Argentina!

No comments: