Monday, September 6, 2010

Northern Ecuador

Well, obviously I'm having a great time and keeping busy if this is the first time I've sat down at a computer on my trip (aside from to email my parents to say I got here okay but my phone isn't working).

I arrived safely in Quito, a little late but I made it! I shared the ride to my hotel with an English guy, Simon, who is going to bike from Quito to Ushuaia, the most southern tip of Argentina! He might be a little crazy to do it, but I admire his courage and it is going to be an amazing trip.

I left the next morning for Otavalo, which ended up being a great decision. Thanks to Lonely Planet, I was pretty sure there was going to be a festival when I got there, and there was! Woohoo! PARTAY!! Festival del Yamur. The first day I wandered around, organized a couple trips out of the city for the next couple days and then I noticed that there were chairs being lined up along one of the main streets...hmmm...this looks just like Santa Barbara when there is going to be a parade. So I explored a little more, watched some street performers, and then the crowds started to form. And eventually, a parade celebrating all the different cultures of Ecuador started to proceed. There were lots of dancers wearing many different colorful costumes, bands, and some floats. There were even some dancing horses like in the Fiesta parade. So pretty much, I felt at home. ;) Although, in Otavalo, people were drinking in the streets, and drinking in the parade...why won't they let us do that in SB? Ah well, I guess you can't have everything.

The next day I went to the markets. Otavalo is famous in all of South America for its markets. There is a huge sprawling "crafts" market where they sell...crafts...AND clothes, toilet paper, fruit, veg, watches, shoes, cleaning supplies, cds...pretty much everything. I also went to the animal market. And that was quite the site....there are people selling animals...guinea pigs (bunches carried around in large bags), chickens, cats, dogs, cows, pigs, geese, and more! It was pretty crazy. Later in the day I went hiking around Lagunas Mojandas which was very beautiful in the Antiplano. A couple from Holland and a guy from New York (Josh) were on the hike with me. Later that night, Josh and I met up to go to the crowing of La Reina del Yamur. It ended up being sort of half concert, half beauty pagent. One of the performers was Fausto, a famous pop singer in Ecuador...and boy did the girls go crazy for him! Ha! The girls running for la reina were all between 16 and 20. Nathaly won.

The next day, (yesterday,) I went on a tour of indigenous communities. Josh came too, which ended up being really good because the guide only spoke Spanish and Josh is bilingual (he was actually born in Ecuador and moved to NY when he was 5). After the tour we went to the Condor Park and then to the bull fighting (part of the festival del Yamur). I then headed back to Quito. At the hostal I reunited with Simon and couple other travelers I had met my first night, as well as meeting several more backpackers (including 2 Israeli’s that had just arrived from working Jewish summer camps in the U.S. – one in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin!).

This morning I explored Quito. I went to La Compania de Jesus – a church that is plated with gold inside. I also saw the changing of the guards at the El Palacio del Gobierno - quite the event! I then went up to the Basilica and decided to risk my life climbing to the top of the tower. Oh my dear, it was just about as bad as bungy jumping. I had to walk across a wooden plank bridge and then climb several steep ladders. It was pretty scary but somehow I made it!

Now I am I Mindo (highly recommended by several people I have met so I decided to add it to my trip and spend less time in Quito). Tomorrow I have to get up at 5am to go birding. I think I will see many many colorful birds…including the world’s largest humming bird. Super excited!

2 comments:

Neha said...

Elise! I love this. Sounds like you are making friends and really enjoying yourself. Misses and kisses!

Alisa said...

Keep the stories coming. Good to hear you are off to a great start.